Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Edmund Sloo

He's just a character I'm working on.  I couldn't think of a good title.  

Things continue to move along.  My short story "Falling is Like This" continues to take a beating.  I've sent it out to half a dozen places but no one's interested.  I think the first couple of places I sent it to just weren't right for it.  It's frustrating though because I'm not getting any feedback on it.  I gave it to someone to read and I got a good response, she really liked it, but didn't give me any details.  She didn't tell me why she liked it or what didn't work.  I mean, I love my story, but parents often overlook their children's deficiencies.  

I found a good site though, duotrope.com  that has a searchable database of places to submit.  It's a wonderful little site.  It helped me find a couple of magazines that I think would be perfect for the recently finished "Shambles of Love."  I think I might be preoccupied with the grotesqueries of relationships and love.  Anyway, the newest short is just about edited.  I managed to do a good 10% cut from it and I think it's pretty tight.  I'm going to read it one last time this weekend and then send my baby into the cold, cruel world.  

I've also started on a new story.  It's the first of five in a series of Lovcraftian tales.  The first has to to with placentophagy.  It's kind of neat.

Jak is printed out and waiting my devilish red pen, but I'm giving him a couple of weeks to breath, to settle, to get some distance and freshness so that when I do start cutting I can do so with a more objective eye.  I know I should really give it a couple of months to breathe, but I would like to start sending him out to agents before the end of the year.  

Plain Jane is coming along slowly.  Who knew it could be so difficult to write a 22 page comic book?  It's really tough though, but I'm keepin' on keepin' on.  I'm not expecting much from Jane.  Really it's just something to do because she's been in my head for a while and I want her out.  Maybe I'll get an artist to draw it, maybe not.  

Other than that stuff, the writing goes on.  I decided not to work on Jak's second book until I had sold the first.  I don't want to blow a couple years on something no one may ever want.  I have the whole story firmly done, so I'm not going to lose anything if selling Jak takes a while.  So I have to figure out what my next project is going to be.  I've got a number that I'd really like to do, but I'm not sure where I should go from here.  I've got time I guess.  I won't be starting a new book until after I get back from Europe at the end of September anyway, so I have time to plan and think.

Word of the day:  Placentophagy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it classy, and jokes are always appreciated.