Monday, January 4, 2010

Blog Chain: 2010 Writing Goals

Welcome back to a blog chain for a new decade.  The wonderful BJ asked:

What are your writing resolutions for the year 2010?

I've spent a lot of time thinking about that.  Last year, I was riding the high of signing with my agent and having a book out on submission, and my goals were far more than I was able to achieve.  This year, I have the release of that book (selfless plug: The Deathday Letter coming 6/15/2010) and I know that I'm going to want to spend as much time as I can really making sure I'm getting out there and getting to know people. So that's part of my goal. I want to spend more time reading widely, and getting to know my readers and other writers.  Not because I want to sell more books, but because the relationships I've made over the last year through this blog chain and on Goodreads and through The Tenners, have made me really appreciate this whole process and have helped me grow as a person and a writer.

For actual writing, I'd like to finish revising the middle grade novel I wrote for NaNo.  I also would like to finish the YA that I'm working on. Finally, I'd like to finish a first draft of a book called The Great Leap Forward.  It's kind of a pet project of mine, but it's something I really want to do.

So that's it.  Oh, and one more thing:  I also resolve to enjoy the ride.  Because no matter where you are in your writing, it's never any better than the minute you're living in.

Go ahead and see what Michelle and BJ had to say before me, and tomorrow, check out M.C. Hammer Cole

8 comments:

  1. I love that last point...to enjoy the journey! That is really my goal this year. I'll save the rest for my actual blog chain post. Happy New Year, and I can't wait to read your book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack! I set this post to go up tomorrow! Sorry it's up early :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post and LOL LOVE my introduction :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds exciting! And yes, it's important to enjoy the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, you're too anxious man, you're too anxious. Thats okay, despite trying to set mine up to go on the 10th, its already out there too. Dang Blogger! This is a nice succinct list though. I really like the last bit too. Good motto to live by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful post!! And I think those are some really awesome goals. :D Your book is going to be my fantabulous Vegas vacation read. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a big year coming up, and I look forward to seeing your book in the store later this year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I look forward to reading your book. What an awesome year you have in store!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, keep it classy, and jokes are always appreciated.