Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Rise of Renegade X

The Rise of Renegade X isn't your typical book about teens with superpowers.  Yes, there are teens with superpowers in it, but this ain't Sky High.  Written by fellow Tenner Chelsea Campbell, The Rise of Renegade X blew my socks off.  Let me tell you why.

In the world Chesea created, heroism and villany are genetic.  And on their sixteenth birthdays, heroes receive an H on their thumbprint, while villains receive a V.  Enter Damien Locke.  The story begins with his sixteenth birthday.  He's the son of a famous supervillain and expecting to get his V so that he can get into Vilmore--a supervillain school.  However, instead of a V, Damien's thumbprint rearranges into an X and he learns that his mother--gasp!--had an affair with a superhero.

From that point on, Damien has to prove his villainy all while living with his do-gooding father.

I expected a straightforward story.  One that I'd enjoy.  I mean I enjoyed both DullBoy and Powerless.  What I wasn't expecting was something so hysterical.  I don't think I've ever read a superhero book with such great YA sensibilities.  Damien has a wicked sense of humor.  He has to deal with an ex-girlfriend who cheated on him with his best friend, a crazy girl who knows his secret (and likes to peep him with x-ray glasses) and a superhero family that drives him crazy.  This book was like Superbad meets the X-Men.

This is a great book for teens that doesn't pull any punches.  I hope there's a sequel because I'd love to see more of Damien's world and how he handles having his X.

Go buy it.  You won't be sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it classy, and jokes are always appreciated.