Thursday, December 30, 2010

Best of 2010

Well, another year is nearly over.  It's been a good one for me, really.  Launched my book, sold my second book, and generally had a kick-ass time doing it.  So, without further blubbering, here are my favorites of 2010.

Books:
1.  Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness.  He gave us an ending to the Chaos Walking trilogy that was bold and beautiful and hopeful.

2.  Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins.  People either loved or hated this book.  I was on the side of love. Also, you just knew Peeta had to be the one.

3.  The Marbury Lens by Andrew Smith.  Andrew Smith is my hero.

4.  Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta.  This book just blew me away with its beauty and strength.

5.  Unwind by Neal Shusterman.  Months later, I still think about this book.

I also want to shout out to all the Tenner books that kicked butt all over the place.  There's way too many to list but I've loved every single one that I've read.

Movies:
I have to say that this year sucked for movies as far as I'm concerned.  Nothing really blew me away.  Despite that, here are my favorites.


1.  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.  My favorite of the franchise, I only wish they'd showing the halves back to back.

2.  The Social Network.  A great look at success in the internet age.

3.  Let Me In.  The original was still better, but I felt like this was the first import that wasn't Americanized to death.

4.  Kick-Ass.  Welcome to the modern superhero.

5.  The Other Guys.  Mark Wahlberg's finest work.  Despite some out there subplots that feel flat, this movie made me laugh.

2010 movies I want to see but haven't:  The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Black Swan, Tangled, Despicable Me, and Rabbit Hole.

Overrated 2010 movies:  The Kids are All Right and Inception.


Music:


1.  La Roux - La Roux

2.  April Smith and the Great Picture Show - Songs for a Sinking Ship

3.  Hellogoodbye - Would it Kill You?

4.  Natalie Merchant - Leave Your Sleep

5.  Arcade Fire - Suburbs

TV:
Most of my favorite shows this year came from across the pond.

1.  Sherlock Holmes - Steven Moffat did an amazing job modernizing Holmes and Watson.  It's a shame we only got 3 episodes.

2.  Doctor Who - With Moffat at the helm, Matt Smith as the Doctor, and new companions Amy and Rory, Doctor Who is better than ever.

3.  Misfits - Season 2 deepened this show about outcasts with superpowers, while still maintaining its outrageous humor.

4.  Rubicon - Yeah, it was slow moving, yeah it's cancelled, but damn was it ever brilliant.  Sitting around collating data has never been so tense.

5.  The Walking Dead - Can a show about zombies make you cry?  Damn right it can.

Honorable Mentions:  Terriers, Inbetweeners, Vampire Diaries, Supernatural.

Should be cancelled:  Weeds (please cancel it soon), 30 Rock, The Office.


So that's it for me.  What were your favorites of 2010?

3 comments:

  1. Bump.

    Even if only for The Walking Dead, which rules, but felt like a tease. A dirty, awesome, heroin addicted fiendish little tease.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Unwind. That and Mockingjay made my list, too. I need to read Marbury Lens. I keep hearing so many amazing things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree that there was not enough New Sherlock Holmes. I love this series!

    P.S. Yay, Peeta!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, keep it classy, and jokes are always appreciated.