Monday, April 9, 2012

Reading Doldrums

My TBR shelf at home is loaded with unread books.  My Nook and Kindle are both filled with unread books.  Yet, I can't seem to find anything to read.  It's like flipping through cable.  200 channels and nothing interesting on.

Every book I've picked up in the last few weeks, I've put down after about 3 chapters.  Nothing is grabbing my attention.  Part of it might be me.  I've been revising and editing, so that means I've been doing a lot of reading.  But still.  I want a book that's REALLY different.  Something like READY PLAYER ONE or BSRK or THE MARBURY LENS that's unique and deep and interesting on multiple levels.  Even something like JELLICOE ROAD.

So, what are your suggestions?  Adult, YA, MG, any genre.  Hit me with your best shot.

7 comments:

  1. Have you read Michael Grant's Gone series? If you haven't already read it, Fear recently came out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charles - I loved the GONE series. I've only read the first three though. Have you read his new book BSRK? It's pretty cool.

    Sandra: I loved The Night Circus. It was such a perfect book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read BZRK. It was a great read.

    Another book that I enjoyed was Children of the Star by Sylvia Engdahl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Recommending books may be my favorite thing in the world. Watch out.

    1. Quick and easy on the attention span, but with tidbits of adult-level humor, and strangely affecting depth: THE THIRTEEN CLOCKS by James Thurber, THE BAD BEGINNING of A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket.

    2. Plot, plot?, plot!, plot!!!!, the end: Agatha Christie's EVIL UNDER THE SUN, Scott Westerfled's THE SECRET HOUR and if you like it then go to the rest of the Midnighter's series

    3. Reminiscent of JELLICOE ROAD (ie, I couldn't put it down and I maybe cried a little ok maybe a lot): SET THIS HOUSE IN ORDER by Matt Ruff, FUN HOME: A FAMILY TRAGICOMIC by Alison Bechdel, THE SPARROW by Mary Doria Russell

    4. Wildcards (I loved them to death; you may not but they're certainly unique): OVERQUALIFIED by Joey Comeau, THE UNCOMMON READER by Alan Bennet, EVERY YOU EVERY ME by David Levithan.

    More information than you require: http://cpdcm.blogspot.com/2012/01/2011-in-book-form.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charles: I've never heard of Children of the Star. I'm definitely going to check it out. Thanks!

    Leah: Holy crap, that's a list! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shaun, I know it's not fiction, but read THE LAST LECTURE if you haven't read it. It's a book everyone has to read, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, keep it classy, and jokes are always appreciated.