Sunday, August 26, 2012

Home Again, Home Again

I showed up in Vegas to two days of rain. I spent most of that time trying not to eat sidewalk since I'd really only packed shorts and flip-flops.  What can I say? I'm a Florida boy at heart.  Now that I'm back home, I'm watching...you guessed it...more rain.

Pretty soon, I'm going to start taking it personally.

The Vegas part of my vacation was fantastic.  I didn't write, didn't take my computer. Nothing. Just enjoyed the moments.  I'd forgotten how much I needed to daydream. To imagine.  Sometimes, just staring off into space can be the doorway to all the ideas in the world.

Even though I'm on my social media binge, I realized how much things like Facebook, have taken root in my brain. How I've filled the time I used to use to watch people or work through plots, with Facebook and Twitter and RSS feeds.  How my phone has become the filling in the times between.  Unplugging from that...really unplugging...helped me see how much I need my space to breathe.  How much all creative types need it.

I've been struggling with some plot points in a work-in-progress.  4 days in Vegas and I pretty much worked them all out.  I worked them out while wandering down the sidewalks, while standing atop the mini-Eiffel Tower, while soaking in a bath, while staring off into space on the airplane.  Just giving my brain the chance to branch out and explore was all I needed to sort out the creative issues.

I don't think I'll ever give up my phone. It's invaluable when you're out somewhere and need restaurant recommendations or are lost or need to look up the name of that one actor in that one movie...you know, then one where he plays a gorilla?  But before I even left Vegas, I deleted Facebook, Twitter, and all other social media apps from my phone.  I'll still use those things, but when I'm seeing something beautiful, I'll actually see it now, rather than figure out how to tell others about it in 140 characters.

I'm going to do 2 Vlogs this week to cap my social media blitz.  I'll do them a little later this week.  I want to take the time to try and get a little better.  Hopefully, by the last one, I won't be uming and uhing through them. Believe it or not, I actually used to be a pretty decent speaker.

Other than that, glad to be back! Thank you all for keeping the blog going while I was away.

Now, tell me:  where is your favorite place to let your mind wander?

3 comments:

  1. I always let my mind wander while I am in class. As long as I still get A's, I don't see a problem with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. School was one of my favorite places to daydream. Nothing like a boring teacher's voice to whet the imagination.

      Delete

Keep it clean, keep it classy, and jokes are always appreciated.