Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Great Books I've Read Recently

One of my goals for 2013, was to read 2 books a month.  I know that doesn't sound like much, but between my work schedule, writing schedule, and trying to catch up on 3 seasons of Parks and Recreation (that Leslie Knope is hilarious), it doesn't leave a lot of time for reading.  But, since January, I've actually managed to read 8 books (and part of 1 that I had to give up on) and they've all been pretty spectacular.

Three, though, really stood out.

TEETH - Hannah Moskowitz's latest and greatest is getting the praise it deserves.  A gritty fairy tale of sorts, this is her "magic gay fish" book that proves that any subject, in the hands of a passionate, competent writer can be brilliant.

The Twelve-Fingered Boy - I've been consistently impressed with the books coming out of Carolrhoda Labs.  Fellow Tenners Blythe Woolston and Steve Brezenoff both have books with the imprint, and they're amazing.  This book by John Horner Jacobs is the first in his INCARCERADO trilogy.  I'm not sure how I'd categorize this.  It's sort of a contemporary with some superpowers thrown in.  While I read it, I called it a trailer-trash noir, and I think that's accurate.  Shreve and Jack make a dynamic pair, and, while their journey doesn't break new ground, their friendship is handled so thoughtfully that I read the whole thing in a day.

Ask The Passengers - It's no secret that, while I've been impressed with A.S. King's books, I've never really connected to her narrators.  However, that all changed with Ask The Passengers.  Astrid Jones is one of the greatest narrators I've read in a long time.  Authentic, sincere, amazing.  There are no aliens or vampires or angels in this book.  What there is is a lot of heart and a realistic look at life.  Astrid's life.  You should read it.

I've been lucky this year.  So far, the only book I haven't bothered finishing has been The Twelve, Justing Cronin's follow-up to The Passage.  And I think that actually had more to do with me.  I'll probably take it with me on my next flight...it's probably more of a plane book anyway.

And now, I'm reading The Raven Boys.  It's my first Maggie Stiefvater book, and I'm liking it so far.  It's very poetic, but not overly so.

So tell me:  what are you all reading?

2 comments:

Keep it clean, keep it classy, and jokes are always appreciated.