Sunday, October 7, 2007

Back up

So I sat down to write yesterday. I've already sort of written the first part of my new story: I woke up from a dream and was inspired to write. All I had to do was copy what I'd orignally written, but tweak it to incorporate all the changes I'd made. Really the new copy wouldn't look anything like the original, the original acting merely like a roadmap.

Anyway, I'd done about an hour of work. From my desk I can see outside. It was a beautiful sunshiney day, not a cloud around, a brisk breeze tossed the palm trees about playfully, then the power went out. For no good reason in heaven or hell, the power went off. It stayed off for about 3 hours, after which I furiously restarted my computer to find no traces of my file.

I'm an computer guy, so I have no one to blame but me. The moral simply is: back up, auto backup, save frequently. Muses are fickle creatures, and while it's always possible to remember the gist of what you had written, sometimes, no matter how hard you try, you may never get back a particular turn of phrase.

Also, no more song of the day. From now on:

Word of the Day: Torpid

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it classy, and jokes are always appreciated.