Wednesday, October 10, 2007

What if you're just not into it?

It's a conundrum I used to face: What if I sit down to write and I just can't string the words together? Is it better to write junky crap that I'm going to erase the next day, or just recognize that I'm not in that writing space and sit the day out?

It's an easy thing to do on my days off because if I wake up and sit down to write and I'm not in the mood, then I know that a good tv show later, or a trip to the gym will perk me up; I know that at some point during that day or night I'll be in the writing zone for at least a few hours.

But when I get up at 6am and work at the office till 5pm, then get home and cook and clean and workout, there's only a couple hours left before I have to go to bed. It's not that I don't have time to write, because even with the TV shows I follow, there's still time, it's that if I'm not ready during the time I have, I lose the whole day.

So should I force myself to write anyway, even when I know that the words coming out are second-rate?

Don't know. Didn't last night and I feel guilty about it. I feel guilty for every second not spent writing or working on something related to writing. What Would Riggins Do?

Word of the day: Compurgation

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it classy, and jokes are always appreciated.