Sunday, September 28, 2008

Getting into your head

That's what I'm trying to do. Not get into YOUR head, but get into the head of my character; my new character. I know the story I want to write, I'm just not sure yet, how it's going to be written. I wrote the first scene from three different POV's to see how I like it and it's tough. I'm mostly settled on a first person narrative. But I want to be sure.

I don't know what the general consensus is on FP, but I don't particularly care. I mean, I do care, but I don't. I've read that people think writing FP is easy and it's really not. The trick is that you have to know your MC so well that every single part of the story is filtered through him. Every word is his, every thought, every action is his. I was discussing a point in DDL about this. My MC is this 13 year-old horny boy. He's the narrator. Therefore when he describes his guy friends, it's a very spare description because most heterosexual men simply don't notice physical characteristics of other men. And when he described the girls, he had a tendency to focus on his favorite parts. It was part and parcel of having a character who is a slave to his hormones.

Now that I'm working on another book, I have to get into the head of a new character. See, it's not really ME writing, it's my MC. My new MC wants to be a doctor and he's a Junior EMT, so everything he sees, he relates to medical things. White walls bathed in fluorescent lights are the color of mucous. When he talks, he sometimes uses anatomical terms (and sometimes he uses them wrong). The goal here is to have two books, both written by me, but which read like they were written by two separate people. Because in a way, they are different people.

In a third person narrative, you can have different styles, but YOU are always the writer, the narrator.

So right now, that's what I'm doing. I'm working on revisions, playing the waiting game, and moving ahead with a new book. I think it's going to be a good one, a sad one, but one that gets to the heart of who we are as a people, and the direction we're going to be going.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it classy, and jokes are always appreciated.