Friday, October 10, 2008

Twice in One day? Must be Friday.

I made a mistake. I used to have this superstition where I never discussed a work in progress (WIP) until it was so solid that nothing could shake it. The reason for this is that 99% of all fiction requires that its writer not think too much about the ludicrousness of the actual story. Especially fiction that colors outside of the lines. Talking about a WIP before it was completed has pretty much always been a recipe for disaster. Because as I explained it to others, I began to see all it's glaring flaws, and all those loose strings began to unravel.

For some reason I thought I was past that, and with my current WIP still fragile and young, I told my agent all about it, and even sent him my sample pages. Big mistake. He was on the fence about some stuff, and then I started analyzing it, and basically the whole thing has now fallen down around my ears and I don't know what to write.

So if there's a rule to be learned from this, it is: if your work isn't able to withstand scrutiny yet, don't show it to anyone. It's like taking a four month old baby out of the womb; it just can't survive.

Sigh. Back to the dry erase board.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it classy, and jokes are always appreciated.