Friday, May 31, 2013

FML Friday - What FML Means to Me

Less than a month.  Less than a month until FML is released into the wild.  It's crazy.  It feels crazy.  I
wondered for a while if this day would come.  Not releasing FML, but releasing a second book.  For some reason, having two books out makes it all feel more real.

Starting Monday, I'll be celebrating FML all month long with some fantastic stories from other authors and agents and editors, along with prizes!  Everyone loves prizes!  But that also means that this is the last FML Friday.

No one dies in FML.  It's a bit of a lighter book, and I worried for a long time that people would think that meant that it was less important.  That it didn't matter.  But FML means as much to me, if not more than Deathday because the issues in FML are the issues we face every day.  It's a story about how the little choices we make add up to and inform the big events of our lives.  It's about owning who we are and recognizing that from other's points of view, we're often just secondary characters on a bigger stage.

I think, when you read FML, you'll see my personal philosophy running through it.  I've made a lot of mistakes in my life, but I tend to try and not focus on regret.  Because I don't think it matters what path I take. I believe that I'll always end up where I need to be.  Maybe if I'd done A instead of B, I would have realized my writing dream sooner and been published earlier, but I think it would have always happened.  I'm not much for karma or spirituality, but I do believe we learn the lessons we're meant to learn one way or another.  Sometimes we learn them quickly and move on, sometimes we're stubborn and learn them the hard way.

To me, that's what FML is really about.  Maybe I could go back and do things differently and get where I'm at now much faster, but I'd miss so much cool stuff along the way.

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Gawd, imagine a world in which characters had to die to make books important. It would be Westeros!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, keep it classy, and jokes are always appreciated.