Thursday, October 25, 2007

Uneventful

This was an uneventful week in writing. I delivered one chapter last weekend and nothing this week owing to my mother being in town and a slight little bout of weather depression (crummy weather = crummy mood). I am however fired up again and I find myself in a dilemma. I'm working on a chapter and I know where I want the chapter to go, I'm just having trouble getting started. I've started it about 5 times this week, written about a page and decided it wasn't working.

It's not that there's anything wrong with it; the characters aren't acting contrary to their nature or anything like that, it's just boring I think. And the chapter itself is a holding pattern chapter: my character is trying to get on with his journey, but a young girl and her mother are trying to keep him from moving forward by playing on his good nature. They constantly find things they need help with: chopping wood, hunting, etc. So unfortunately it's not an action chapter, it's not even a chapter where the story moves forward, in fact it's a chapter where two characters are essentially trying to stall his journey. Would it be so bad then for the story to feel like it had stalled? To feel like it had grown ordinary and bland?

I'm going to try to attack it from a couple of different angles and if I can't figure it out, I'm just going to let the scene be what it is, even if it is boring.

Word of the day: Literally (There's a fantastic blog out there of all the different ways the word is used improperly) Literally Weblog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it classy, and jokes are always appreciated.