Friday, February 29, 2008

Plums deify

Yesterday was a spectacularly beautiful day in the neighborhood so I managed to get a ton of good writing done.  Chapter 11 (and the adventure) are in full swing and I'm feeling good about it.

I finally gave up trying to read "The Golden Compass."  In my youth I used to devour anything I could get my hands on.  I'd read cereal boxes if I was bored.  However I've been trying to read Pullman's book at the behest of a lot of friends, but I finally raised the white flag.  The story is imaginative, the writing is good, but there's just something about it that irks me.  I feel absolutely zero for the main character Lyra, nor for any of the characters in the book.  I keep reading and asking myself why I should care.  As a character she just feels soulless to me.  

So in trying to find something to read while my hand uncramped I trotted on up to B&N and picked up Stephen King's "On Writing."  Never a huge fan of King's writing (I read King's book in elementary school and found them thin even then), I wasn't sure what I'd get out of it, but some wonderful people had only positive things to say about it so I gave it a shot. 

I pretty much think that it should be required reading in all creative writing classes.  There's so much stuff in there that I wish I'd had when I was younger.  I probably wouldn't have taken so long to get off my butt.  I highly suggest anyone serious about writing pick it up.  

On a sad note, I cleaned my pens last night and this morning after I refilled it, my Cross isn't working so well.  I may have to send it back.  So sad.  

I also did a rework of my Valentine's day story.  I just about doubled the length because I felt the middle section was rather rushed (which it was since I was trying to finish it before I left work).  I'm going to give it a good once over tonight and see how I like it.  I might change it from first to third person but I doubt it.  I like my main character too much.  He's got a good point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it classy, and jokes are always appreciated.